The commission will resume normal operations when appropriations legislation is enacted and the federal government reopens, according to an announcement Wednesday.
With the exceptions of Acting Chairman Michael A. Khouri and Commissioner Rebecca Dye, who are presidentially appointed, Senate-confirmed officials, all commission employees have been placed on furlough and are prohibited by law from performing any duties during the shutdown, the FMC said.
As a result, all commission functions have been suspended, including the following:
• The commission’s website will be available during the shutdown, but it will not be updated with new information until operations resume.
• The commission will not accept online filings or applications through its website for the following: service contracts through SERVCON; ocean transportation intermediary automated applications or license updates; foreign unlicensed non-vessel operating common carrier registrations or renewals; tariff registration forms; eAgreements Filing System (ocean carrier or marine terminal operator agreements or amendments); and eMonitoring System (agreement-monitoring reports, minutes and transcripts).
• The commission will not accept filings during this period for: ocean carrier or marine terminal operator agreements or amendments; applications for certification of financial responsibility for cruise lines embarking from U.S. ports; and agreement monitoring reports, minutes or transcripts.
• The commission’s online databases — SERVCON, OCC and NVOCC Tariff List, List of FMC Licensed and Bonded OTIs and the Agreement Notices & Library — will not be accessible.
• All filing deadlines in formal and informal adjudicatory and investigatory proceedings pending before the commission or administrative law judges are temporarily suspended. No filings will be received during the shutdown.
Upon reopening of the federal government and the FMC, the public is welcome to contact the Office of the Secretary at (202) 523-5725 or email@example.com with any questions about filing deadlines or computation of time in proceedings.