Evergreen has taken delivery of an additional 8,508-TEU containership built at CSBC Corp.’s shipyard in Kaohsiung. The ship, Ever Lucid
, will join one of the Taiwanese carrier's Far East – Europe strings.
It is latest delivery in Evergreen's fleet-renewal program, a program that began in 2010 at a time when shipbuilding was at cost-effective levels.
Evergreen noted that the 30 “L”-type vessels it is building (all have names that combine the word "Ever" with a word beginning with the letter L) will act as replacements for existing ships. It said, “This is achieved by balancing the newbuildings with the redelivery of currently chartered ships when their charter periods expire.”
This week, Evergreen announced plans to charter additional 10 14,000-TEU ships — five from Costamare and five from Shoei Kisen.
Evergreen supplied this comprehensive update to clarify the size of its its current orderbook:
- Fifteen of 20 “L” ships with 8,452-TEU capacity ordered from Samsung, have been delivered, and the remaining five will be delivered this year.
- Three of 10 "L" ships with 8,508-TEU capacity have been delivered from CSBS. The remaining ships will be delivered by the second quarter of 2015.
- Ten ships with 13,808-TEU capacity are being chartered from Ensel. Two have delivered, and the remaining eight will be delivered this year.
- An agreement has just been signed with Costamare to charter five ships with 14,000-TEU capacity to be delivered in 2016.
- Another agreement has been signed with Shoei Kisen to charter five ships with 14,000-TEU capacity to be delivered in 2017.