The National Retail Federation (NRF), in partnership with its member companies, has launched an Integrated Mobile Initiative (IMI), which it bills as a first-of-its-kind initiative to act as a single source of information around challenges and opportunities that exist within mobile retailing, including shipping and logistics operations around fulfillment.
The initiative is being led by Vicki Cantrell, NRF’s senior vice president of communities and executive director of Shop.org, as well as a task force made up of retail company and solution provider members.
"Mobile constitutes a growing part of our business, significantly impacting how customers interact with us, and vice versa,” said Peter Cobb, co-founder and senior vice president of eBags.
Lori Schafer, executive advisor at the SAS Institute, said the industry was already in need of a unified source for mobile news, trends, and support.
Core to the IMI is www.NRFMobile.com
, a Website that offers users the opportunity to view original NRF research, infographics, policy information, and more. It currently breaks down information around marketing, m-commerce, payments, operations, and policies, with logistics serving as a thread running through many of these on the back end.
The logistics experience and needs will be represented by Calvin Hollinger, chief information and logistics officer of Urban Outfitters. Hollinger recently spoke at an NRF event on mobile’s impact on fulfillment of customer demand from any channel, merchandise restocking, app-based customer interaction, and associated productivity improvements in terms of fulfillment, warehousing, and shipping.
“NRF’s subject matter experts provide unmatched insight into mobile’s impact on every aspect of the retail organization including recruiting the right talent, how to organize your business, and how to integrate existing and new technology,” Cantrell said. “Today nothing is more important than mobile technologies that provide seamless cross-platform shopping experiences.”
Other members of the IMI Task Force include:
- Bernie Brennan, Investor Retail Software and Social Media, Co-Author of Branded!
- John Devine, executive director IT, Urban Outfitters.
- David Dorf, product director, Oracle Retail.
- Kathy Doyle Thomas, executive vice president and chief marketing officer, Half Price Books.
- Lisa Gavales, executive vice president and chief marketing officer, Express Inc.
- Michael Julson, vice president of product management, RedPrairie.
- Bob Myers, chief executive officer, Sheplers Inc.
- Marty Ramos, industry technology strategist, Microsoft Corp.
- John Rogers, vice president/general manager of global e-commerce, Under Armour.
- Peter Sachse, chief marketing officer, Macy's.
- Dan Schock, formerly with Google.
- Bill Tucker, vice president of information technology, Nordstrom. - Geoff Whiting