China Navigation Co., the deep-sea shipping arm of the Swire group, has purchased Polynesia Line Ltd (PLL).
China Navigation has held a 13 percent interest in PLL since 1979, and now has acquired the remaining 87 percent.
“We have tremendous confidence in PLL’s position as the premier U.S. West Coast to the Pacific Islands shipping service which has been established over many years,” said Tim Blackburn, managing director of China Navigation.
Swire said management of PLL will remain in San Francisco and Interocean Steamship Corp. will continue to operate as the PLL’s agent in the United States. There will be no change to the existing agency representation in the key ports of the Pacific Islands, China Navigation said.
Jens Jensen, president of PLL, confirmed the existing management and agency teams have China Navigation's full support and "in continuing to provide the high level of service delivery that has come to be expected over the years.”
Polynesia Line, established in 1967, provides ocean transportation services between U.S. West Coast and Tahiti, American Samoa, Western Samoa and other Pacific Islands. The company operates a fortnightly frequency and direct ports of call include Oakland, Los Angeles, Papeete, Apia and Pago Pago. It also owns a 50 percent interest in Polynesia Shipping Services in Pago Pago and Samoa Maritime Services in Apia. - Chris Dupin